School Assistants: Questions and answers for phase 2 School Assistants programme advertised September 2021.
What positions are available?
to assist with teaching & learning in classrooms
General School Assistants
to help with Infrastructure Maintenance, offer Psychosocial Support
/Counselling and as Sports & Enrichment Assistants
How many positions available?
Positions are available in all 9 provinces accross South Africa.
+- 197 000 Education Assistants (EAs)
+- 95 000 General School Assistants (GSAs). In total 287 000 positions are available.
How long is the contract?
The contract is for 5 months (approximately 1 November 2021- 31 March 2022).
How much will I get per month?
The stipend will be R3827.44 per month minus UIF contribution of
R38 per month.
Who can apply?
Aged 18-35 (must not turn 36 before 31 March 2022 – except for LSEN
schools where there is no age limit)
• Must live walking distance from the location of the school
• Only one opportunity can be taken up per household
• Must not be employed, studying or training (even part time)
• Must NOT be receiving government grants (NSFAS, Funza Lushaka, other
• Cannot have a criminal record
• They must meet the criteria per job category
Education Assistants : must have at least a matric
at least 40% (level 3 pass) in the subject they will be placed in
work seeker should have passed IT as a subject in matric OR have a
qualification OR a certificate course in IT
• Reading Champion
work seeker should have passed English at matric level and have a passion
General School Assistants :
• Psychosocial Support/Counselling -Child & Youth Care Worker (CYCW)
work seeker should have passed matric or any of the Health profession
• Infrastructure Maintenance (Handyman)
work seeker should have a passion for infrastructure maintenance related
jobs environment (no matric requirement)
• Sports and Enrichment Assistants (SEA)
work seeker should have a passion for working with learners, passion for
Sport or Arts (no matric requirement)
Can I apply again if I was appointed on phase 1?
Everyone needs to re-apply for these positions regardless of whether or not they
have worked in this role before.
You can apply to the school where you previously worked. If you performed well
this will obviously count in your favour in the interview.